Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti is celebrated as birthday of Lord Shani. The day is observed on Amavasya tithi of Vaisakha month. Lord Shani is known as Lord of KARMA in Astrology. The ultimate reality of life is that our life path is decided by our Karmas and the planet Saturn has been given the responsibility to give us fruits of our Karma.
Many people fear Saturn due to misconceptions but Saturn is not at all to be feared. It is only giving us back what we have given to the world and others in our past lifetimes.
Shani Jayanti Rituals
1. Donation is the best remedy to please Saturn. Donations needn’t always be in the form of money rather it can be your time and efforts too. Teaching underprivileged children free of cost can also help you earn good karma and blessings of Lord Saturn.
2. You can also keep a fast on this day. Even if you are not keeping fast, prefer vegetarian diet. Our mind and body become what we eat. Non-vegetarian diet give birth to tamasic tendencies in a person and therefore, should be avoided.
3. Saturn represents elderly person in your life. You should seek blessings of your seniors and parents daily. Honoring them especially on this day will help you gain good merit.
4.Chant the Shani mantra “Aum Shanescharaya Namaha”. You may also chant Shani Strotam.
5. If you have shivling at home, you should do its abhishekham with water and milk.
6. Chant Hanuman Chalisa.
7. Lord Shani is the karaka for perseverance, patience and hard work. Be righteous and do justice with every person.